Function disabled

Thursday, June 6, 2013

From Solemn Ceremony to Parades to Rare Bird Sightings

I've been really busy recently with several photo assignments, from a ceremonial military funeral at Arlington Cemetery -- 



to the Falls Church Memorial Day Parade and Celebration: 











































Getting back to nature, I went out on the kayak on a recent evening, camera in hand. I paddled my way on the calm glassy waters of Lake Barcroft from Beach 3 around to the Potterton Bridge. 

There, I found a number of local birds that I had not encountered before, along with the usual suspects.

Here, a rarely seen (by me) female grackle, high in a tree.


Female grackle
And in the same tree, a cedar waxwing.


Cedar waxwing
Her head feathers radiating the blazing late afternoon sun,  two images of a female hooded merganser.
Female hooded merganser

Female hooded merganser
The merganser had a brood of seven babies, but they were scurrying for cover before I could get off any decent shots. 

Here, back to more common members of our lake, a great blue heron in flight.


Great Blue Heron
Our barn swallows are very difficult to photograph because of their great speed and agility, but here's one perched on a barge.


Barn swallow
And finally, the newest residents of Lake Barcroft, Canada geese goslings.





Post your comments below and sign up with your email if you like to receive notices of postings automatically.

Larry





No comments: