Function disabled

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Birds and bees

Gorgeous day for an excursion around the neighborhood at Lake Barcroft, from my backyard on Stoneybrae down to Beach 5, and here's what I photographed today.

Robins are everywhere, but up in the trees with the blue sky as a background, they are still stunning.

American robin
 A Carolina wren -- he's all squatting ready and looking at another perch (our bird feeder!)
Carolina wren
 Grackles shine with a purple/black iridescence, and those yellow eyes are amazing.

Grackle
This guy, a grey catbird, has the most incredible song. You can hear a recording here at this link: http://naturebits.org/mp3NoAmBirds/CatbirdGraySong.mp3. I would have recorded him myself but with cameras and a camera bag, it wasn't possible. I think the one I heard and photographed had even more variety in its song than this recording.


Grey catbird
 
Grey catbird
 House finches -- great red color, and very common at our feeder.
House finch
We have a new sparrow family in the birdhouse. I can hear tiny little chirps inside, and here is the mother bringing some nourishing meal. I can't tell what it is, however.

Mama sparrow with food for the fledglings

The bumble bees were everywhere. I took a couple of stop action shots here:







Coming soon: Cicadas!


No comments: